Friday, May 19, 2006

Shame

I have been thinking about how we as parents use shame to discipline. Or maybe more of how shame has been inappropriately used by parents and in the church. The bible has 22 words that have been translated into the word shame or ashamed. But only a few connote what I am talking about. We all know that shame is part of God given conscience to help bring us to sorrow for our sin and then repent. I am not talking about this type of beneficial shame. But the one that is meant to cause the feeling of unworthiness as in this definition:
shame n.
1. A painful emotion caused by a strong sense of guilt, embarrassment, unworthiness, or disgrace.
2. Capacity for such a feeling: Have you no shame?
3 .One that brings dishonor, disgrace, or condemnation.
4. A condition of disgrace or dishonor; ignominy.
5. A great disappointment.
Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.2.1)Copyright © 2006 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.
I have fought this feeling my whole life, real or imagined... Where does it come from?.. More later.

1 comment:

Mel said...

I, too, have fought this my whole life. And I have foolishly used it to get my children to obey. I can tell immediately when I have done it because I see the hurt in their eyes. I see the embarrassment. I remember how I felt when I was their age. The Lord convicts me and I seek their forgiveness. I pray they remember that more than they remember when I got it wrong.