Saturday, April 14, 2007

Jawbone of an Ass

I told my son that I believe the true lesson of Sampson's story for me is that a lot of times, we make our own trouble. By not controling my own jawbone, I make an ass out of myself. (Then we get ourselves into a lot of trouble. We want to blame "bad guys" like Philistines but really, isn't it just reaping what we sowed and blaming the weeds? But,more on this later.)
"I thought the jawbone represented the Power of God?" my son commented.
"I think in Bible symbolism it does, but I also believe God is big enough to have known that "Ass" would mean multiple things in our culture today. Like in Shrek, when Puss-n-boots says "You still look like an ass to me." He's saying he still looks like a donkey, but also that he thinks his is a metaphorical ass too. It means a person is full of themselves and makes a fool of themselves because of it."
"Oh, you mean like Oscar in A Shark's Tale?" my son asked.
"Exactly, you got it." I'm so impressed at how easily he understands when I explain it in terms he can relate to.

No comments: