Friday, July 27, 2007

In be “tween” the holding and the letting go

While cleaning out closets, getting ready for a new round of birthday presents, my almost 11 year old daughter decided it was time to pass down her collection of Barbies.
I wasn’t sure that I was ready to be mother to a girl who is “too old” to play Barbies. I tried to talk her out of it. But, with logic beyond her years, she expressed the same sentiment that was ruminating in my own heart.
“I want to be sad about saying good-bye, but I’m not.”

I looked back at the passing of each parenting season with melancholy longing, the memories were sweet. Sure I ooh and gooh over newborns. I love to reminisce over their baby books, but I have always looked forward to the maturing of my kids. What and honor to see the blossoming of my closely guarded prize rose crop. With much pride I parade all my visitors near to admire God's handwork He has so graciously allowed me to be a part of. I cant wait for the late night talks and the excitement of all the new things this tween season holds. Memories are sweet but the anticipation of the delights to come is sweeter still.
“Good-bye, you have always been my favorite princess. Fare thee well and Live long and prosper." She said, as she placed her Belle into the give away box...

No comments: